Citrus Gleaning Season at United Food Bank is now over. We would like to thank all the dedicated community members who helped us by gleaning and donating to our program this year.
Citrus gleaning is a long-standing program for United Food Bank and provides a great opportunity to qualified homeowners in Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Apache Junction, and Queen Creek to donate their excess ripe fruit while helping hungry people in their community. United Food Bank has been very blessed to have the support of the community-at-large for in its citrus gleaning efforts. This year, we will again count on our community to support our gleaning efforts, realizing it is a very important task to help feed hungry people.
Here are the guidelines to the 2015 Citrus Gleaning Program:
- The Food Bank can accept only consumable citrus donated by the public, January 12th – February 28th.
- Supplies for self-pickers (bins & pallets), will be made available upon request. A $10 charge per bin will be assessed at the time of pick-up. You can schedule a time to pick up your bins here.
- The preferred method of payment for citrus bins is in person with check, money order or cash at the time of pick-up. However, if you need to pay online, you can do so through our donation portal here. To ensure proper identification of your fee payment, please mark the check-box labeled “This gift is part of a food drive” and in the comments section, please type “Citrus Payment.” You may also call into our office at 480-926-4897 to pay.
- In order to best utilize resources, time and volunteers, United Food Bank will not be scheduling volunteers to assist homeowners in their gleaning efforts. We will direct homeowners to available resources in the community.
- The designated drop-off area will be set up at United Food Bank’s Nina Warehouse located at 245 S. Nina Drive, Mesa, AZ. Donations can only be accepted during regular operating hours, Monday through Friday, 8 am -3 pm.
- To maximize drive time and employee efficiency, the Food Bank will pick up full citrus donation bins only when FIVE or more bins are full. All donors with less than five (5) full bins will need to drop off their own bins at the Food Bank or if it is easier for you, please refer to our schedule of Community Citrus Drops below.
- Pick-up of full citrus bins by Food Bank staff must be scheduled 72 business hours prior to the preferred date of pick-up.
United Food Bank will host five Saturday Citrus Drops in Mesa, Chandler and Tempe. The following are citrus drop calendar dates:
Dobson High School- 1501 W. Guadalupe Rd., Mesa, AZ
Date: Saturday, January 17th, 2015
Mountain View Park- 845 N. Lindsay Rd., Mesa, AZ
Date: Saturday, January 31st, 2015
Tempe Library Complex – Rural & Southern, Tempe, AZ
Date: Saturday, February 7th, 2015
Gene Autry Park – 4125 E. McKellips Rd, Mesa, AZ
Date: Saturday, February 14th, 2015
Trinity Christian Fellowship Church- 50 S. McQueen Rd, Chandler, AZ
Date: Saturday, February 21st, 2015
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: United Food Bank reserves the right to reject citrus donations if the fruit is not of usable quality. This is to ensure all citrus received and processed is of high quality and can be distributed to partner agencies for distribution to hungry people.