IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING 2014 CITRUS GLEANING
Thanks to all the donors and volunteers who participated in the 2014 season. We have been able to meet the Citrus needs of the many agencies we serve in just 6 weeks and are no longer accepting new applications for gleaning assistance, citrus gleaning volunteer opportunities or self-pickers.
United Food Bank is NO LONGER ACCEPTING CITRUS.
Donations to help support the cost of the Citrus Gleaning Program are still being accepted and can be mailed to 245 S. Nina Drive, Mesa 85210 or by calling our office at 480-926-4897. We thank you for your support in this way.
WAYS TO DONATE QUALITY CITRUS
Pantry Drops: Find a location close to you by clicking www.azfoodbanks.org to find a food bank nearest your zip code.
RESOURCES TO HELP YOU DISPOSE OF YOUR CITRUS THE PROPER WAY
All American Waste Service: 480-830-9195
Waste Management: 480-357-7280
Red Mountain Rubbish Removal: 480-854-9009
Organic Waste Technologies: 480-396-3834
City of Mesa Solid Waste: 480-644-2688
Again, THANK YOU for your passionate committment to meeting the needs of hungry Arizonans in 2014!
“Citrus Gleaning” is a longstanding seasonal program for United Food Bank, which offers qualified homeowners in Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Apache Junction, and Queen Creek a venue to donate their excess ripe fruit. Our citrus season ran January 1 through February 14, 2014.
Homeowners seeking to donate their citrus should consider these important points:
- The easiest and most efficient way to donate your citrus is to collect it and deliver it to our main warehouse.
- United Food Bank can provide bins for you to collect your citrus. Bins can be picked up at our warehouse but must be scheduled ahead of time. Empty bins are collapsible and fit in most large vehicles.
- Homeowners who are over 65 or are physically unable to glean their own trees due to health or disability may qualify to have United Food Bank supply volunteers to assist with gleaning. Due to limited resources, we can not guarantee that we will be able to assist every homeowner who qualifies to have their citrus gleaned. Please understand that we make every effort during the season to assist as many as we can.
- I will pick my citrus but need bins.
- Due to age, health or another disability, I am physically unable to pick my own citrus and wish to request gleaning assistance.
Map and Directions to Main Warehouse
245 South Nina Drive
Mesa, AZ 85210
Are you interested in volunteering individually or with a group to pick citrus? Please submit a Citrus Volunteer Application and we will be in touch with you shortly.